The student news site of Huntsville Junior High School

Panther Print

• January 22May 2 - 13: ACT Aspire

• January 22April 28 - May 13: ACT End of Course Tests (Algebra I and Geometry)

• January 22April 18 - 27: STAR Spring Benchmark

Mako Mermaids

Madison Jaggers, Reporter

Mako Mermaids is a Netflix original. It is a spin-off version of H20: Just Add Water. Mako Mermaids is an Australian show for children and teenagers. It is produced by Jonathan M. Shiff in association with Network Ten and Nickelodeon. The series is about Zac, a teenage boy who turns into a merman after falling into the Mako Moon Pool. The Mako Moon Pool is a magical pool of water.

Zac is a teenage boy who decides to go camping on Mako with his friend, Cam. Zac does not know that three mermaids, Sirena, Nixie, and Lyla, who are guardians of the island, are watching him. When the full moon rises, Zac is drawn to the Moon Pool. He falls in to the Moon Pool. The next morning, he discovers that he can manipulate water. He also discovers that he is a merman. He turns into a merman when he touches water. His new merman powers cause trouble for the three mermaids, Sirena, Nixie, and Lyla.

After Sirena, Nixie, and Lyla’s pod banishes them for allowing Zac to become a merman, the three decide to get legs and take Zac’s power away from him. They must learn to live with humans. In season 2, the mermaids continue to discover the secrets of Mako and learn more about the Merman Chamber. Nixie and Lyla go and search for a new home, which leaves Sirena with Ondina and Mimmi. Ondina and Mimmi are Mako mermaids who continue the effort to remove Zac’s powers and reclaim the island for their pod.

In season 3, Zac and the mermaids are joined by Weilan, a Chinese mermaid who fled to Mako for sanctuary from a magic water dragon. The mermaids must figure out a way to defeat the dragon before it destroys all the pod has worked to save. Evie, Zac’s girlfriend, faces her own challenges when she becomes a mermaid herself, and the others try to help her cope with the change.

The show has many characters. It stars Lucy Fry, Ivy Latimer, Amy Ruffle, Chai Romruen, Isabel Durant, Allie Bertram, Gemma Forsyth, Alex Cubis, and Linda Ngo. Most of the actors are Australian. The opening theme song is “I Just Wanna Be” by Chantelle Defina and Jack Dacy. The ending theme song is also “I Just Wanna Be.” The composers are Ricky Edwards, Brett Aplin, and Ric Formosa. The series comes from Australia. There are three seasons. There are 68 episodes.

Mako Mermaids is a great show. It is very interesting and fun. I enjoy watching it. My favorite character is Ondina because she is funny and sweet. It is written by Sam Carroll, Anthony Morris, and Chris Roache. It is directed by Evan Clarry and Grant Brown. The show is mainly for children and teenagers. I would recommend watching the show. It is fun to watch and there are cliffhangers. Some of the episodes will leave you on the edge of your seat, wanting to watch more. Mako Mermaids is my favorite show.