The student news site of Huntsville Junior High School

Panther Print

• January 22May 2 - 13: ACT Aspire

• January 22April 28 - May 13: ACT End of Course Tests (Algebra I and Geometry)

• January 22April 18 - 27: STAR Spring Benchmark

The most Popular Gamefish of the South East

Christopher Parker, Writer

Many saltwater fish have incredible speed and extreme reflexes which make them desirable to fish for and catch. Many people however, have different fish they prefer to target. Many people like to do different things when they fish like trolling or drop fishing, and some people like to go offshore for bigger fish. Some people also go inshore to fish. Either way saltwater fish always come in a variety. My favorite saltwater fish to catch is either the Blacktip Shark or the Red Snapper. Many fish I like to catch are normally caught in the Gulf of Mexico, but my favorite fishing trip took place out in the Atlantic Ocean near the island of Nantucket where I caught striped bass and bluefish.

Mahi are a favorite to most saltwater fishermen and these fish are known for big leaps, lightning speed, and amazing colorization. These fish are caught with balao, squid, and cut up baits. Mahi are very well known and have amazing tasting meat. There meat is a favorite on a fish sandwich and they are best grilled and season with Caribbean seasoning, Cajun seasoning, or just lemon and pepper. In my opinion, fish don’t have to be big and strong to favorited and l love to catch one of the largest baitfish. Ladyfish are a species related to tarpon and snook. They feed on mostly shrimp, baitfish, and they are hooked by Gotcha plugs and inshore trolling lures. Lady fish are normally used for shark bait like bonito which is a species of tuna. I have discovered that they are good eating if at the proper size and they are a great fight. I see them as much like a saltwater bass.

Flounder are bottom dwelling fish that feed off baitfish that swim above. They feed on mostly bull minnows and lures that are cranked right near the shore. Flounder are challenging to find amongst the bottom. They take time to find on the bottom close to shore. They live very close shore and wait near the surf zone to feed on bait fish that are disoriented by the surf. They are very good eating when they are cooked pan fried, battered, or perfectly grilled with lemon and pepper and put on a fish sandwich. This species which is the gulf flounder is very fun to catch, but give a short fight.

Shark are amazing fish to fight. They are smart with an incredible sense of smell, hearing and huge teeth. A species of shark best known as the Blacktip shark are strong and are very good eating. They spin and flip out of the water when hooked making them very fun to fight. They feed on chunks of fish and are very powerful. They are good grilled and deep fried. This is my list of favorite fish to catch and there is more to come in the next year so stay tuned for more in August.