The student news site of Huntsville Junior High School

Panther Print

• January 22May 2 - 13: ACT Aspire

• January 22April 28 - May 13: ACT End of Course Tests (Algebra I and Geometry)

• January 22April 18 - 27: STAR Spring Benchmark

Girl Dies At A UK Water Park

Fallon Limberg, Journalist

An 11 year old girl on a fun school field trip sadly passed away after she fell from a water park ride at a famous United Kingdom theme water park. Local police have confirmed the scene. The incident happened at the famous Splash Canyon ride at Drayton Manor theme water park, way north of Birmingham, Staffordshire Police said.  “It is with great sadness we have to report and tell that a young girl has passed away at The Birmingham Children’s Hospital directly following an incident on one of the park’s water rides this afternoon,” George Bryan, company director of Drayton Manor Park, said in a strong statement. George Bryan added that staff were alerted when the girl fell into the water. “The theme park staff tried to help her and an air ambulance airlifted her to a hospital nearby,” George Brain continued.

The young girl, a student at the Jameah Academy in Leicester, was on a school visit to the water park when the sad incident occurred. The school released a statement confirming that the year 6 student had died. “As a school community, we are deeply shocked and our thoughts are with our pupil’s family and friends. The school will ensure specially trained staff are in school to provide our pupils and staff support at this difficult time,” the statement said. The school’s website describes the school as an “independent Islamic school.” The park would remain closed Wednesday “as a mark of respect to the family,” a statement on the Drayton Manor Theme Park’s Facebook page said. It did not specify how long the ride in question would be shut down.

The injured student was taken out from the water at the scene of the accident and transported quickly to the Birmingham Children’s Hospital, but passed away shortly after arrival, a West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said. “On arrival, crews discovered a girl with serious injuries who had been rescued from the water by park staff,” the service spokesman said. “Ambulance staff administered advanced life support before she was flown to Birmingham Children’s Hospital with the doctor continuing treatment on route. Unfortunately, shortly after arrival at hospital the girl passed away,” the service spokesman continued.

The ride is like one in the Dreamworld theme park in Queensland, Australia, on which four different people died on the same ride in the same month of October, last year, 2016. In that incident, four adults and two children were riding on the “flume” type ride, called the Thunder River Rapids Ride, when the unexpected accident happened last year. The two children in the accident were saved, but the four adults on the ride passed away when their float flipped after it made contact with the other float towards the ending of the ride. “The contact between the two caused some of the passengers to fall onto the conveyor belt, where they were caught in the machinery, and couldn’t get out,” a Queensland Police Service spokesman said at the time of the accident.