The student news site of Huntsville Junior High School

Panther Print

• January 22May 2 - 13: ACT Aspire

• January 22April 28 - May 13: ACT End of Course Tests (Algebra I and Geometry)

• January 22April 18 - 27: STAR Spring Benchmark

Sleep

Avrie Adams, Writer

One problem that I’ve heard a lot of people complain about is how tired they are at school or out of school. I also struggle with getting enough sleep so I don’t feel like passing out on my desk. For some people, tiredness just wears of throughout the day, but for others it has become a major problem, causing them to get in trouble because they are sleeping in class or not doing their work. If you find yourself struggling with staying awake or going to sleep, then here are some tips to help you not feel tired.

First of all, when you are tired, coffee isn’t always the best way to wake you up. While it does taste good, coffee can raise cholesterol levels, and can cause enamel erosion, which makes your teeth thin, stained, and weak. An alternative to drinking coffee, is going to bed earlier. It’s a given that if you are up late, that you will be tired in the morning. If you have afternoon activities and have to stay up late to do homework, try doing it at school. However, if doing it at school doesn’t work for you, then when you are trying to do homework, start with the harder things and progress into the easier work which will take less time.

If you are like me, and have trouble going to sleep and staying asleep, these tips are for you. One thing that has always helped me fall asleep is sound, I was never able to sleep in pure silence. You can try listening to soft music, or something along those lines like a sound box that plays nature sounds. Some scents help you relax and, or, sleep better. They can slow down the nervous system causing your mind and body to relax. Some scents in particular are lavender, vanilla, and Jasmine. You can put something that has these scents beside your bed. Although, some scents do the opposite of help you go to sleep. Scents like citrus, and peppermint help you to wake up.

If you have tried these things and still have trouble staying awake or sleeping, you might want to see a doctor. Constant tiredness is a symptom of many diseases and sicknesses. Conditions that cause constant tiredness are, depression, anemia, and sleep disorders (Insomnias, and/or Short Sleeper). Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is also a (slight) possibility. This sickness must be diagnosed by a doctor, but symptoms may include, pain in your joints and muscles, anxiety, or confusion/forgetfulness. Headaches and throat pain can also be symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

For many people, tiredness is a grade-affecting problem. It can also make you feel sick, or it can be caused by a sickness. Try these tips to help you get in enough hours of sleep to feel good during the day. Pre-teens, and teens need between seven to nine hours of sleep for their body to function. Keep this in mind when you are thinking about staying up late. Also keep in mind how bad you will feel in the morning.