The student news site of Huntsville Junior High School

Panther Print

• January 22May 2 - 13: ACT Aspire

• January 22April 28 - May 13: ACT End of Course Tests (Algebra I and Geometry)

• January 22April 18 - 27: STAR Spring Benchmark

Summer Reading

Avrie Adams, Writer

As it gets closer to summer, it gets closer to summer reading projects. Many people don’t want to do their summer reading because it takes up time that they could be using to go swimming, hang out with friends or some other leisure activity. However, if you get it out of the way, early in the summer, or before school gets out, this would work more in your favor than trying to do it last minute.

As I said, you may be finding yourself complaining about summer reading because it takes up your free time. A simple solution to this would be to figure out what book you want to read now, and read it at school in a class that you don’t do much in, and are not supposed to talk too much. I wouldn’t consider that taking up free time because playing games on a device is something that can be done at any other time, and talking is something that could get you in trouble, so, why do it? This allows you to finish your book without using up the time that you have outside of school.

As for the project, it is not the best idea to do it in school, while it does take up a little bit of free time, works in your favor. The project normally doesn’t take near as long to complete as reading the book, so you still are gaining leisure time. If you do the project at the end of summer, you will be rushing, possibly causing your grade to decrease. Also, it will take longer because you may need to reread parts of your book. Who wants to spent their last days of summer working on summer reading projects versus hanging out with friends, or watching TV? Defiantly not me.

Everyone has differing reading levels, and enjoy different types of books. Normally, the reading list features books from some of the most popular genres. They include, fiction, nonfiction, historical fiction. The reading levels for the middle school books are between, 3.8 and 5.3. There are some new project choices for this year. These are some of the revived projects, “Discover the book’s relevance for you,” “Character Interview,” and “Word Collage.” The other projects that have stayed the same include, “Biography and Sketch,” “Create a newspaper for your book,” “Write a pamphlet or handbook for people traveling to the time and place of your book,” and “Make a movie trailer featuring your book.”

While summer reading can be a pain, it is good to get it over with early in the summer, or before school even gets out. It would still be helpful if you just planned everything out before school gets out so you will be ready to do your project. Just think about it, if you don’t wait till later to do it, you don’t have to think about summer reading for the entire break. If you want to start planning for summer reading, you can find the book list at https://www.huntsvillecityschools.org/departments/secondary-instruction/2017-summer-reading.