Panther Print

• January 22May 2 - 13: ACT Aspire

• January 22April 28 - May 13: ACT End of Course Tests (Algebra I and Geometry)

• January 22April 18 - 27: STAR Spring Benchmark

Dallas Cowboys Offseason

John-Bradley Whitmire, Writer

Last season, the Dallas Cowboys had their best season since 2007, going 13-3 and advancing to the divisional round and losing to the Green Bay Packers, 34-31. This incredible season came after they picked rookie sensations Ezekiel Elliott 4th overall and Dak Prescott 135th overall. Ezekiel Elliott, number 21, led the NFL with 1,631 rushing yards, 300 more than the next candidate, Jordan Howard from the Chicago Bears. He had huge expectations, and still managed to blow them away and capture the rushing title. Rookie Dak Prescott was named the starter for the preseason after Tony Romo injured his back, where Prescott lead the team to a 13-3 record, and a number 1 seed in the NFC.  This offseason, the Cowboys made a very large move on their roster. They released longtime starter Tony Romo, who consequently retired.  Romo has been the starter for the Cowboys for many years and has led them to several (mostly unsuccessful) playoff games. In 20014, he led the cowboys to a 14-2 regular season record. In 2015, he was injured and didn’t play for most of the year. Then, in 2016, he broke his lower back, and was out for around 10 weeks. This is when rookie star Dak Prescott comes in. He started throughout the entire season, leading them to a 13-3 record, and the divisional playoff round, where they lost 34-31 to the Green Bay Packers. Aside from the Tony Romo move, the Cowboys also lost Morris Claiborne, Brandon Carr, and Orlando Scandrick.  They signed Stephen Paea, Damontre Moore, and La’el Collins. They will need a good draft class in pass rushers and cornerbacks to be successful in the NFC East, which saw all 4 teams post a winning record. Jerry Jones said the Cowboys were looking for a “war daddy” pass rusher to bolster his defense. Most likely, because this draft class is so rich in cornerbacks and safeties, Jerry will want his team to draft a pass rusher 28th overall, while saving his second and third round picks for the backfield. He may trade some of his latter round picks for a higher pick in the first round to choose a better pass rusher. Options like Taco Charlton, Charles Harris, and Takkarist McKinley will probably be available at spot number 28.  However, some analysts have said that the Cowboys could trade up to a spot in the top ten to draft a “war daddy” pass rusher like Solomon Thomas or Derek Barnett. Elijah Smart, 8th grade, thinks, “The Cowboys are a team that did really good in 2016 after ending 4-12 in 2015. They have two of the biggest stars in Ezekiel Elliot and Dak Prescott, who are amazing. Ezekiel Elliot is a very good running running back and a very good catching running back. Dak could read the field and then if he had no options, he could just throw a check to Elliot and he would run a first down or an 83-yard touchdown like he did against the Bengals. He averaged 11.3 yards per catch and that is better than some receivers.”