Panther Print

• January 22May 2 - 13: ACT Aspire

• January 22April 28 - May 13: ACT End of Course Tests (Algebra I and Geometry)

• January 22April 18 - 27: STAR Spring Benchmark

Adrian Peterson

John-Bradley Whitmire, Writer

Adrian Peterson will be remembered as one of the best running backs of this generation. But, after an injury harmed 2015 season and a 2016 season limited to only a few games and around 72 yards, the Vikings cut him. Following this horrific pair of seasons and increasingly worrying injuries, and the stress about Peterson reliability and a ripe old 32, no one had even offered Peterson a deal, although he met with the Giants among several other teams. He met with the Saints, who have led the league in yards in two of the past three seasons, but supposedly left without a deal. Then, Monday night came a report that Peterson had a deal worth $3 million a year. This was not a hard figure, but an estimation by ESPN reporter Ian Rapaport. Tuesday morning the official was released by the New Orleans Saints, along with a statement by Peterson. The deal was worth $7 million over two years, with $4 million guaranteed. This is a move that was very unexpected. The Saints already have a Tim Hightower and Mark Ingram backfield, both power running backs, so adding Peterson was a move that is somewhat crowding the backfield. However, with Peterson sharing snaps with Mark Ingram/Tim Hightower, he would have less responsibility, with less opportunities to get inured, and would probably perform better. Also, the Saints are primarily a passing offense, Peterson would get even less touches. Ingram received 205 attempts per game, and that was without splitting time with Peterson. To put that in perspective, Ezekiel Elliot received 322 attempts, Le’Veon Bell received 261 after missing 4 games, and  LeGarrette Blount received 299.

Elijah Smart, an 8th grader, thinks “Adrian Peterson was a really good running back a few years ago but now he is too old, He is like 30 something and that is ancient for an NFL running back. He has led the NFL in a couple of seasons for yards, but that was a long time ago. He is getting hurt way too much and I think the Saints took a gamble that will not pay off. I also think that because Adrian Peterson has spent his entire career in Minnesota, he will find it hard to learn the New Orleans system, and the coaches/ facilities. This will distract him from the game and he will not be in the right mindset to perform his best.”

DJ Langley, 8th grade, thinks “Adrian Peterson was the best running back in the entire NFL in 2012 and 2015, but now he is gotten hurt way too much and now his age is finally catching up to him. He is mainly a power running back, so that is good and he will probably fit into the Saints system well. The Saints also have one of the best run blocking offensive line in the entire NFL.  ” Hopefully, we will be able to see Adrian Peterson returned to his scary productions levels like in 2012 and 2015.