Panther Print

• January 22May 2 - 13: ACT Aspire

• January 22April 28 - May 13: ACT End of Course Tests (Algebra I and Geometry)

• January 22April 18 - 27: STAR Spring Benchmark

2017 NFL Draft

John-Bradley Whitmire, Writer

1. Cleveland Browns, Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M

No surprise that the Browns picked Myles Garrett here. He was the big athletic decade defender the Browns really needed.

1. Chicago Bears, Mitch Trubitsky, QB, North Carolina

The Bears pulled off a huge trade through the 49ers, who probably weren’t going to pick Trubitsky. The Bears spent two third round picks, a first round pick, and a 5th round pick in order to move up one meaningless spot.

1. San Francisco 49ers, Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford

The 49ers already have Arik Armstead and a young but quickly developing Deforest Buckner, and Thomas will only add to the talented defensive front for the 49ers.

1. Jacksonville Jaguars, Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU

Leonard was considered to best the second best power running back behind Florida State’s Dalvin Cook, who saw his draft stock drop after a horrific combine. The Jaguars will now greatly improve their running game.

1. Tennessee Titans, Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan

The Titans have a history of getting two picks in the first round, usually mid-twenties and a top 15.  Corey Davis is a speedy, shifty receiver with quick hands, however he doesn’t have experience against top notch corners playing in the WAC. He may put the Titans over from their 9-7 record and into the playoffs.

1. New York Jets, Jamal Adams, S LSU

The Jets are the absolute worst team heading into 2017, and Jamal Adams is a great person, tackler and team player, but it won’t be enough to get the Jets over 5 wins. Coming out of LSU, he has the experience against big SEC receivers and the speed to cover burners on the edge.

1. Los Angeles Chargers, Mike Williams, WR, Clemson

Mike Williams is a big receiver, wining almost of the 50-50 balls, and is the most complete receiver in the draft. This Clemson prospect was really needed in Los Angeles, so they must have really seen lot of value in this pick. He is being compared to Florida State turned Carolina Panther standout Kelvin Benjamin.

1. Christian McCaffrey, RB/WR, Stanford

Christian McCaffrey is a complete athlete. He can take handoffs, and then burn it to the sidelines for a TD, catch a screen for 60 yards, or line up in the slot to catch a pass. He is a potent weapon for the Panthers.

1. Cincinnati Bengals, John Ross, WR Washington

3 wide receivers in the first 10? Yes that’s the NFL today. Pass, pass, pass. John Ross is a deep threat speedster with the fastest recorded 40 at the combine ever. That just makes non-Bengal fans even more worried about Andy Dalton’s weapons in AJ Green and now John Ross.

1. Kansas City Chiefs, Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech

This was a blockbuster trade move no one expected. The Chiefs traded a 2018 first rounder, their 2017 first rounder, and a 2017 third rounder to move up 17 spots to steal Mahomes from the Saints, who supposedly were going to pick him at 11.