Panther Print

• January 22May 2 - 13: ACT Aspire

• January 22April 28 - May 13: ACT End of Course Tests (Algebra I and Geometry)

• January 22April 18 - 27: STAR Spring Benchmark

Nastia Liukin

Ansley Scales, Reporter

Anastasia “Nastia” Liukin was a famous Olympic gymnast. She was born on October 30, 1989 to Anna and Valeri Liukin. She was born in Moscow, Russia. When she was just two years old her and her family moved to Parker, Texas. By the time Nastia turned three, her parents could already tell that she was a natural gymnast. She was born into a family of amazing gymnast. Her father coached her, and he was a very skilled former Olympic gymnast. He was the first ever to do a triple backflip in a floor exercise. Her mom was a world champion in rhythmic gymnast.

Nastia started her career as a gymnast in the early 2000s. She competed in her first national competition in 2002, when she was only thirteen years old. She got 15th place overall in the National Championships. In 2003, she was one the United States team that won gold at the Pan Am Games. By 2004, she was known as one of the best junior gymnast in the United States. She was also the world champion on the balance beam in both 2005 and 2007. She also got a world title on the uneven bars in 2005.

In 2008, Nastia went to the Olympic trials and made the U.S. gymnastics team. She went to the summer Olympic games in Beijing, China. She competed in three events: the balance beam, the uneven bars, and floor exercise. She made it to the finals in all three events. She received a silver medals on the balance beam, the uneven bars, and the team medal. She got a bronze medal on her floor exercise. One of the most significant awards she won was the all-around gold medal. Because she did so well in the Olympics, she got international recognition as an athlete and celebrity.

Nastia Liukin made an appearance on the popular TV show Dancing with the Stars. She competed on the 20th season of the show in 2015. Her partner that she danced with was the professional dancer Derek Hough. She was one of the best scoring dancers every single week. In the middle of the season Derek injured his foot and ankle and was unable to dance for several weeks. Nastia danced with professional dancer Sasha Faber while Derek’s foot healed. Nastia was able to make it all the way to the eleventh week of ninth week of competition the semi-finals. There were only four couples left that hadn’t been eliminated. She danced her last dance with Derek, who was still not fully recovered, before she was eliminated from the competition.

Nastia Liukin was a very good gymnast and a good dancer. She competed in many national and international level gymnastics competitions. She did very well in the Olympics when was in them in 2008. She tried really hard ever since she was a little kid to become a good gymnast. Her parents helped her and encouraged her to do her best. She was able to become very famous because of all her success in her career. She showed she was very talented in many things when she competed on Dancing with the Stars and made it to the semi-finals. Overall, she is an amazing athlete that is so talented that many people look up to.