The student news site of Huntsville Junior High School

Panther Print

• January 22May 2 - 13: ACT Aspire

• January 22April 28 - May 13: ACT End of Course Tests (Algebra I and Geometry)

• January 22April 18 - 27: STAR Spring Benchmark

Huntsville Von Braun Center

Avrie Adams, Writer

The Huntsville von Braun Center (VBC) is a large building dedicated for concerts, musicals, meetings, plays, and sporting events such as hockey and indoor football. It also includes a fantasy playhouse that puts on productions for kids. The VBC is also known for hosting conventions. One particular event that it hosts often is the Ringling Brother Circus. The VBC is one of the best places in Huntsville if you are looking for entertainment, or something to do. I have been there for many different events, and it is very enjoyable.

The VBC was opened to the public in March, 1975. It is located in downtown Huntsville near Big Spring Park. It was named after the famous German-American engineer and space architect, Werner Von Braun after he invented the Saturn V rocket in 1967 for America. The VBC was originally known as the Von Braun Civic Center (VBCC), but the “civic” part was taken out in 1997. It has an arena with a maximum capacity of 10,000 people in the arena.

In addition to events held in the arena, like sports, circuses, and musical events, the VBC has other rooms that are available for use. These rooms are located in the north and south halls. They can be used for events such as weddings, high school graduations, craft shows, or regular shows. Recently, there have been a couple of shows at the VBC such as a boat show, and a survival expo. Fundraisers are also held at the VBC.

During intermissions of shows, I have found that many people go directly to the concession stand or other vending carts or stands. The food and drinks served are typically of good quality and reasonably priced. The price range for concessions is about two dollars to six dollars. There is a variety of different options to choose from such as pizza, funnel cake, hotdogs, candy, nachos, and popcorn. Also during intermissions, people have a chance to buy T-shirts, sweat shirts, or other souvenirs from the show.

Some of the most famous shows that the VBC has hosted in its earlier years include concerts for AC/DC, Prince, the Jacksons, and Johnny Cash. It has also recently hosted Cirque De Solei which is a traveling Canadian acrobatic group. As mentioned above, musicals also take place at the VBC, some upcoming musicals or shows are, Motown, and Annie. Huntsville ballet company, Styx concert, Fleetwood Mac’s Rumors presented by black jacket Symphony, and Corey Smith are also upcoming events at the VBC.

Hockey is one type of sports that the VBC hosts a lot of. One of the teams that regularly play there are the Huntsville Havoc, and the UAH (University of Alabama in Huntsville) Chargers. Other sports played at the VBC include basketball, football, wrestling, soccer, and derby. Some of the teams that also play here are, Alabama Hammers (football), Huntsville Flight (basketball), Huntsville Blast, and Huntsville Channel Cats (both hockey teams). The stadium that that all these things take place in was built in 1971. It was designed by Booz-Allen-Hamilton.