The student news site of Huntsville Junior High School

Panther Print

• January 22May 2 - 13: ACT Aspire

• January 22April 28 - May 13: ACT End of Course Tests (Algebra I and Geometry)

• January 22April 18 - 27: STAR Spring Benchmark

Breakfast is it the most important meal of the day?

Harrison Dunn

Is breakfast really the most important meal of the day? I ask myself this question every time I skip it to get to school. 31 million Americans or 1 out of 10 skip breakfast each morning. Most people skip breakfast because they want to lost weight so they think less calories they skip. Another reason is people don’t have enough time in the morning.  Although, people that eat breakfast take in less calories because they don’t eat as much during lunch.  Eating breakfast can also lower health risk. A study from Osaka University showed that 82,000 man and women that eat breakfast have a lower chance of a stroke. Another study has also shown that kids that don’t eat breakfast lose two hours of learning due to hunger related behavior problems.

The people that skip breakfast the most are the teens because they don’t have enough time in the morning. When kids don’t have time schools are supposed to serve breakfast.  I have this knowledge through experience of befriending and from knowing a lot of people for a while most of my friends don’t have to time to eat in the morning. Around 230 is the amount that eat school breakfast which isn’t even half of the school. In an online poll, 80 percent of kids eat breakfast. So, there are a lot of kids that don’t eat breakfast and that is less learning going on. Another study shows that kids that don’t eat breakfast are also tardy and absent more from school.  People that eat breakfast also tend to do more physical activities.

My personal experience with eating breakfast is it helps me feel refueled and ready for the day. Although I normally don’t have time to eat in the morning when I do I can stay awake easier and do better on school work. I can also concentrate longer because I don’t have to feel the pain of my stomach empty. My favorite breakfast foods are waffles, bacon, and French toast.  I used to eat breakfast all the time and since I stopped, my grades have been going down. I can also tell from signs of my friends that I know don’t eat they are also down and tired in class. My friends that I know eat breakfast most of them are concentrating most of the time and are making really good grades.

For the people that don’t have time to eat there are many ways you can make it easier to eat. You can stock you kitchen with a lot of breakfast food, get everyone up 10 minutes earlier, in case you can’t get up have some grab and go alternatives that you can eat on the way to school, work, etc. the grab and go can also be used if you are not hungry so you can eat it on the way.

Breakfast is really an important meal of the day. Without breakfast we would not be able to start off our day fully energized and ready to learn new things at school.